Safety RemindersGates and School Safety: Student safety is a priority at Valley Elementary. The gates will be locked daily from 8:00 am to 2:30 pm. and on Wednesday 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. Remember to sign in and out in the office if you are planning to volunteer during the day. Please remind your children that NO student may leave the school grounds during the school day without first being signed out through the office.
ARRIVAL TO SCHOOLBefore School (7:30—7:55 am)
Drivers who need to stop and drop-off their children will need to enter the driveway in the lane on the left side of the cones and find a parking space in the Visitor spaces or proceed through the parking lot to the Boys and Girls Club parking lot.
Drivers who need to pass through the parking lot and drop off students, without parking, will need to
enter the driveway in the lane on the right hand side of the cones. Pull forward as far as possible,
students should exit on the right hand side of the car, and drivers need to stay in the car.
Please do not park/and or leave your car unattended in either lane in our school driveway.
Students can be dropped off at the back gate by the Community Center until 7:55 a.m. at which time
the gates are locked.
DURING SCHOOLOnce students arrive at school, they may not leave the campus or playground during school hours without permission from the office. Students must be checked out in the office by a parent or guardian.
During school, students are asked to:
- walk quietly through the halls so
- not to disturb classes at work.
- not to “cut-through” the library to come out another door.
- not to bounce balls in the halls or against the walls of the school.
DISMISSAL FROM SCHOOLAfter School (2:30 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday; 12:00 pm Wednesday)
Students being picked up should wait in the designated area in front of school or at the back gate by
the Community Center.
Drivers should stay in their cars and pick-up students in the designated areas only.
Students who ride their bicycle or walk home from school should leave the campus immediately after dismissal.
SAFETY TO & FROM SCHOOLWhen walking to and from school it is important for students to follow all traffic rules. When coming to or leaving school, students should always stay on the crosswalks and sidewalks. At no time is it safe to walk or run through the parking lot. At no time should students play in the front areas of the school which include the flagpole areas, cement planters, parking lot, and inner courtyard. Unsupervised playground activities should NOT occur before or after school hours.
PARKINGParents are permitted to park in the Visitor spaces in the parking lot in front of the school, on Bowron Road, and in the Boys’ and Girls’ Club parking lot adjacent to the school.
The Staff Parking lot is for teachers and staff only.
Unattended vehicles parked in yellow zones will receive a parking citation. There is no parking allowed in the red zones at any time.
PARKING LOT ETIQUETTE
- Please drive slowly.
- Follow the Golden Rule with other drivers and staff members. Remember that you are not the only one in a hurry.
- Please do NOT get out of the car to assist or escort your child.
- Pull up close to the car in front of you.
- Please refrain from using cell phones while driving in the parking lot.
- Busses have priority. Please be cognizant of their presence and try to make their entrance and exit as easy as possible.
PARKING IN THE PARKING LOT
- Please do not park in the reserved spaces.
- Park in one of the parking spaces, not in the traffic flow area at any time of the day.
- If you park in the red zone or in the handicapped parking and leave your vehicle, you are likely to be ticketed by the Poway Sherriff's Department.
- Bicycle riding is allowed for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. Permission slips are available in the office.
- Bicyclists are required to wear a safety helmet.
- Bicycles must be walked on school grounds. School grounds include, but are not limited to Bowron Road from Civic Center Drive to the end of the parking lot, all sidewalks, and hallways.
- Bicycle riders need to ride in a safe manner. Privileges will be revoked from anyone who is not riding safely to and from school.
- Skateboards, motorized scooters, roller blades, and wheeled-shoes are not permitted as a means of traveling on campus.
VISITORS AND VOLUNTEERS
The safety of all children is of paramount importance. Immediately upon entering campus, all visitors, including volunteers, are required to register with the school office and obtain a badge. All adults on campus during school hours must have a staff, visitors, or volunteer badge. Visitors may be accompanied by school officials while on campus, and may be denied permission to enter classrooms while in session if school officials determine that there is a substantial likelihood of interference.
Board Policy 4.415 prohibits volunteers on campus until they have completed a background check and had a TB Skin Test. A TB Skin Test schedule was sent home in the first day packets. All visitors and cleared volunteers must report to the school office, sign-in, and wear a badge/nametag while on campus. The PTA keeps track of volunteer hours and reports them to Palomar Council. If you are planning on volunteering and have not completed the proper paperwork, please contact the Office and remember that you may not volunteer until this is completed. SEE Volunteers page for forms.
School SafetyPlease follow this Safe Drop Off link and review the process for a safe student drop off in the morning.
We have observed a couple of close calls during the drop off or pick up of our Valley Students. We are asking that everyone please review the process in place and follow those guidelines when dropping their child or children off in the morning.